Here are some questions that we get asked frequently. We offer a free consultation so if you have a question please Contact Us

1. When does our band need a partnership agreement?

Ideally, as soon as a line-up is formed. If the band receives any interest from a label. It is critical that such an agreement be in place. The partnership agreement will spell out the mechanism for removing a band member, who owns the band name is case of a split; ongoing compensation to departing members, etc. Avoid lawsuits later by working with a music attorney and putting it in writing today.

2. How does a music attorney protect the band's name?

A service mark is the best method. Once the band plays, performs or sell CDs live in multiple states it may be able to obtain a federal mark. Any other bands forming or recording after the mark is registered may be prevented from using the name by use of an injunction. This must be handled by a music attorney.

3. What is the best way to get a record deal?

It all starts with great material. Once an artist has 5 -10 excellent songs a well produced demo can be recorded. It should contain no more than 3 - 4 songs of these. Concurrently, the band should play live as often as possible in order to create a "street buzz". Artists should get e-mail addresses of all their friends as well as those who come to the shows. This mailing list should be used to let everyone know the artist's live show schedule. Finally, many artists are using MySpace.com bulletins as a way to let everyone know about live dates. Labels are very impressed by large enthusiastic turnouts as shows. Finally, a manager or attorney should be used to send the demos to interested labels in order to show that the band has representation capable of interacting with the label to ensure a professional working relationship.

4. Should I get a publishing deal or keep my publishing?

Very few artists can live off their recording advances or royalties these days so working with a music attorney to get you the most money possible is vital. The publishing advance is a helpful supplement. An additional advantage is that the publishing advance is not recoupable against recording costs and is a good way for a young artist to generate income while building a career.

For a free consultation call (800) 718-4658 or email at Randal@music-attorney.com